BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Writing and getting started (kind of)

Hello, Dreamers.  Merry late Christmas. 

I'd like to talk about something I've been thinking a lot about lately: Actually getting started writing after you've been playing with an idea in your head (and, you know, have written it down and everything).  This, to me, is seeming like a hard step in the writing process of a project I really want to start.  It's a very personal project, that I haven't totally gotten okay-ed, but I do want to write it because I feel that it will help me, personally.  However, this project has several thoughts and feelings that I personally experienced and revisiting those thoughts and feelings scares the crap out of me - and I think that's why I'm having a hard time actually starting it.  However, I don't want to start it until it has been okay-ed, but I know that that approval might not come for a while, and even then, it might not be a "yes".  Which would totally suck, but I would take it.

So that probably made absolutely no sense to you because I even confused myself a little bit there.  But I guess what I'm trying (and probably failing) to say is that getting and idea is 'easy', playing with it in your head is easy and figuring out where you might go with it is easy - but when you sit down to start writing it or, in my case, when I think about sitting down to start writing it, it gets harder.  Because that's when it becomes real.  It's when this idea in your head that you might do something with someday becomes this actual piece of work that is coming solely from your imagination and fingertips.  And that's scary because if something is not turning out the way you want it to or it's not sounding the way you want it to or it's not flowing the way you want it to you, you blame yourself because you're the only one with influence on it.  And, as a writer, I think that we sometimes use this as an excuse to never start writing - fear can be a powerful thing, but only when we let it. 

I'm really losing where I'm going with all of this.  It used to be so easy to just put to words exactly what's on my mind, but now it's hard.  Guess I've been out of the practice too long.  Which is another reason I really want to start writing the other project.  I can't get back to SOLACE just yet - not to mention I'm not sure if it would transfer over to this computer or not.

Since I've just wasted your time, I'm going to let you go now.

~Hanna~

4 comments:

Corey_Parsley said...

Hanna, I can tottaly understand that. With every writer it is hard to get started on any new idea or even an old one that you've neglected. Do not fear though. Just because writer's block infects us once again doesn't mean our passion and God given gift has been lost forever. It just means that we need to contemplate on our creative origin. You know how my blog is an ever-green forest? Well that is a part of my creative origin within the core of my mind. Go back to your creative core and you will find your inspiration. I find Praying helps as well.

Your friend, fellow writer, and fellow believer,
~Corey~

P.S. I have some new stuff on my blog and think you should check it out. ^_^

Hanna said...

Corey! You know, it's weird, every time you comment on something I think my cousin has found my blog lol. (His name's Corey too.) Anyway, yeah, it's not so much writer's block this time though. It's just a lot of figuring out if I'm ready to go into something that I'm not totally able to deal with, or I'm not sure that I will be able to deal with. I want to, but it's also very scary. I mean, I know I have so many people around me that I can confide in and that will be there for me if things should go badly, but at the same time I feel bad for leaning on them so much when I know they're trying to get back to where they can stand on their own again. I have no clue if that made any sense what so ever.

Anyway, thanks for commenting. And I've seen your new posts - been meaning to read them! Been so crazy since before Christmas Break. This week is exam week, so hopefully after I'll have more time to focus on reading blog updates! I'm such a bad person, slacking on reading what fellow writers are writing.

All the blessings in 2011,
Hanna

Corey_Parsley said...

Hanna,
I know what you mean. I can't say it hasn't been tough the past couple months, but I am finally getting back to the way I should be. I'll probably write a creative post on it soon. And take all the time you want. I need to start reading some more as well. I try to write stuff here or there or even work on my book a little, but reading is something I need to start doing. Not just for school, but full length novels. Ya know? Hope to continue these great conversations. ^_^ God Bless and may 2011 be a year of successess.
~Corey

Hanna said...

I'm still working on getting back on track. Hopefully by the end of this week, I'll officially be able to start, but no promises. :P I need to try to read more novels too. I just finished "Last Sacrifice" by Richelle Mead and that's the first non-school required novel I've read since school started. Yes great conversations. :)

~Hanna